Skip to main contentSkip to navigationSkip to key eventsSkip to navigation

Eddie Nketiah’s 90th-minute goal, his second of the match, settled a pulsating contest and took Arsenal to 50 points after just 19 games

Updated 
Sun 22 Jan 2023 13.55 ESTFirst published on Sun 22 Jan 2023 10.00 EST
Eddie Nketiah celebrates scoring the winner.
Eddie Nketiah celebrates scoring the winner. Photograph: Tom Jenkins/The Guardian
Eddie Nketiah celebrates scoring the winner. Photograph: Tom Jenkins/The Guardian

Live feed

Key events

Luke Shaw’s verdict

We probably deserved that [to concede a late winner]. We were a bit passive and let them control the game completely in the second half. To concede right at the end is gutting. I think we know they’re an extremely good side and we were fighting all the way. In games like this you need to concentrate for 90 minutes.

They always start fast. We got through that and started to have a bit more control on that game. We were aggressive, winning the ball high up the pitch, like we did for the first goal. The first half went well but in the second we just backed off a bit. They were always gonna get one more big chance.

You have to give them credit for what they’ve done this season. They deserve to be at the top. The quality of these games is getting much higher, and it was a very tough game to be involved in. These are the ones you want to play in, to test yourself against the best. We’re all very gutted to concede late on, but it’s a bit of a reality check to where we are at the moment.

We’ve got to get back tomorrow. We’ve got an extremely big game [the Carabao Cup semi-final] this week against Forest.

The thoughts of two very happy young men

Bukayo Saka

You can see how much it means to everyone. They’re the only team who have beaten us this season and we really wanted to beat them in front of our own fans. We know how big this win is.

It wasn’t easy. It definitely wasn’t our best start to the game and I’m happy with how we responded. I’m happy I accepted the challenge [to score in a third consecutive game against Man Utd, joining Thierry Henry and Freddie Ljungberg in an elite club]. Hello Thierry, hello Freddie!

It’s really significant [that this is Arsenal’s best ever start to a season] and we can be really proud of that, but we need to stay humble. It’s only halfway and thinks can change quickly. But if we keep playing like that we’ll be in a good place at the end of the season. We just have to keep it up.

[What’s behind how you’re playing now?] Many many things, I could be here for days! Erm… firstly it’s the belief we have, especially at the Emirates with the way our fans support us even when we go 1-0 down. They don’t understand how much that does for us. Definitely also the way the coach is setting us up, and the players we’ve brought in – they’ve changed us a lot.

Eddie Nketiah

You could see how badly we wanted to win. We kept pushing and pushing and thankfully we got the breakthrough.

[On his goals] It’s just about being alert, being around. When you’ve got guys like B around you [pats Saka on the shoulder] chances are gonna fall. I had one that the keeper saved but I just kept going. [How agonising was it when it went to VAR?] You know what, me and B were speaking – I saw Martinez next to me so I thought I was onside but when you see that purple screen come up, your heart always races a bit.

“Haven’t felt like this in literally decades watching Arsenal,” says Zack Gomperts-Mitchelson. “Unbelievable. On for 100 points, it’s getting delirious. I think this fixture might be back in a big way. Flying!”

I was trying to think about precedents for Arsenal’s season so far. The most obvious in 1988-89, because that was also a really young side aiming to end a near 20-year drought without a title, but the style of play is so different and in those days it was easier to come from the pack and challenge for the title.

I think it’s too early to say this fixture is back. For a start, the game was played in a good spirit, though that is the modern way. Even so, that was a pulsating game.

“The scoreline disguises the chasing Arsenal have given United today,” says Steph Lysaght. “Forward line really poor. Midfield overrun. Fernandez once again AWOL in the big games.”

I agree with most of what you say, though in the circumstances I thought they did pretty well. Erik ten Hag has only been there six months; he’s good, but he’s no Claudio Ranieri.

Arsenal have had many important victories this season – Fulham at home, Spurs twice, Liverpool, Leeds – but the manner of that result makes it the biggest yet. It’s the kind of win that champions pull off, but then so was Man City’s comeback agianst Spurs on Thursday.

If there was any doubt before, there is none now: Arsenal or Manchester City will be Premier League champions this season. Arsenal, who were heartbroken and sneered at when they missed out on a Champions League place last season, were sixth favourites in August. What they have already achieved – 50 points in the first half of the season – is pretty astonishing. Imagine if they win the thing.

That is a huge win for Arsenal, and maintains their healthy lead over Manchester City. They deserved it as much for their sheer persistence and belief as their often bewildering attacking play. Ultimately Arsenal wanted – needed – it just a bit more than United, who themselves contributed so much to a marvellously raw game of football. Tremendous stuff.

The first four goals were terrific. This was scruffy, as if Arsenal will care. Trossard found the overlapping Zinchenko, who cut the ball back towards Odegaard at the near post as per. His shot was half blocked by Fred and looped towards Nketiah in the six-yard box, and he twisted his right leg like an arthritic ninja to beat de Gea with an improvised volley. Actually, I did Nketiah a disservice – the build up was scruffy, the finish was really deft.

There are two VAR checks for offside, one against Zinchenko and one against Nketiah. It’s tight but I think the goal will be given.

Updated at 

88 min Shaw’s corner is headed away, Wan-Bissaka fouls the breaking Saka and is lucky not to be booked. Arsenal players again surround the referee. They’re not the only ones who do it, it’s true, but there is a certain entitled charmlessness to their harassing of officials in recent weeks. This is a compliment, because we rarely get annoyed by crap teams surrounding a referee.

84 min: Good save by de Gea! Odegaard’s free-kick ricochets around the United area before falling to Nketiah, 12 yards out. He drags a left-footed snapshot on the half-turn that is really well saved by de Gea, diving low to his left. Nketiah, such a good finisher, will probably feel he should have done better – the shot was nowhere near the corner.

Manchester United's David de Gea saves from Arsenal's Eddie Nketiah. Photograph: David Klein/Reuters
Updated at 

82 min Arsenal have had the centre of the ring for most of the game, but this is the first time that United have really been on the ropes.

Fernandes is down with a head injury, so Anthony Taylor stops play. The Arsenal fans aren’t thrilled with the decision.

80 min An Arsenal corner leads to a scramble in the United area before Wan-Bissaka lumps clear. Arsenal come again and Odegaard’s cross flashes right across the face towards Xhaka at the far post. He is about to score when Fernandes makes a desperate and vital challenge.

79 min Martinelli cuts inside and hits a fierce shot from 20 yards that is headed over his own goal by Martinez. That might have been going in.

78 min Weghorst touches the ball off neatly to Fernandes, who shapes a menacing left-footed pass around the Arsenal defence, almost like a bowling ball, towards Rashford. He challenges for the ball at the same time as Ramsdale, outside his area now, and Tomiyasu before falling over. I’m pretty sure Rashford just slipped, and VAR agrees.

Updated at 

76 min McTominay’s ball forward runs under the boot of Partey on the edge of the area, but Eriksen can’t get to it. Partey has made a few uncharacteristic mistakes today, most notably when he lost the ball twice in the build-up to Rashford’s goal and was then nutmegged.

75 min “I don’t know about Weghorst being a reference...” says Jeff Sax. “He is a galoot.”

Jeff Sax: The Man Who Gives It To You Straight. He’s even got the same initials.

74 min Arsenal have had 75 per cent of the possession in the last 10 minutes. Weghorst has put an admirable shift in but I’d be very tempted to bring on Garnacho and put Rashford down the middle.

Mikel Arteta tends not to make many substitutions when chasing a game, though this time he has the option of Leandro Trossard.

73 min Apologies for the paucity of emails, the match has just been too goshdarn compelling. Talking of which, here’s the clever bit of improvisation from Lisandro Martinez that brought Man Utd level.

WHAT A GAME! Lisandro Martínez makes it 2-2 🔥 pic.twitter.com/mlYdzTtVp7

— Sky Sports Premier League (@SkySportsPL) January 22, 2023

71 min: Manchester United substitution Fred replaces Antony, who had another difficult day. Bruno Fernandes moves to the right wing and United switch to a more orthodox 4-2-3-1/4-2-1-3.

Updated at 

70 min: Saka hits the post! Saka almost scores a carbon copy of his goal, cutting inside from the right and hitting a shot from 25 yards that takes a nick off Eriksen and hits the outside of the far post.

70 min Arsenal have responded to Martinez’s goal as United did to Saka’s. The difference is that United’s was an equaliser. All of which is to say that it’s Arsenal who are pushing for victory.

69 min “I love rollercoasters,” says Mary Waltz. “This fixture is the equivalent of the feeling you get when going upside down at 60 miles an hour. Glorious fun!”

You’re a neutral, aren’t you.

68 min Weghorst has done pretty well today, holding the ball up well and giving United what Thomas Tuchel used to call “a reference” when he was at Chelsea.

66 min: Chance for Odegaard! Xhaka’s cross is only half cleared to Odegaard, whose shot from 12 yards hits Eriksen and flies wide. The resulting corner is headed wide by the backpedalling Gabriel.

Some game, this.

Updated at 

64 min Arsenal counter the counter through Saka, who runs at the backpedalling Shaw in the area. Eventually he slides a low pass/cross towards Nketiah, whose close-range shot deflects behind. At least I thought it did; the referee has given a goalkick.

Shaw is defending dangerously deep against Saka, allowing him to have the ball unchallenged within 10-15 yards of goal (albeit at a tight angle).

Updated at 

63 min Martinelli picks out the onrushing Odegaard just inside the area, a familiar Arsenal tactic, but Eriksen tracks him well and blocks the shot. United break but Rashford is unusually indecisive and Tomiyasu tackles him well.

Eriksen whipped a inswinging corner from the left. Ramsdale came but ran into his teammate Tomiyasu and could only flap the ball down in front of him. Martinez read the bounce brilliantly, stooped towards the ball and then stained his neck muscles to lob a header over Gabriel on the line. Gabriel got a touch, leaping backwards, but could only help it into the net. That is such a good finish - less spectacular than the first three goals but equally brilliant in its own way.

Updated at 

57 min It’s surely time for Alejandro Garnacho or Facundo Pellistri, because Rashford is all United have got in attack. Weghorst is willing but limited and Antony is suffering an extreme case of first-season syndrome.

Updated at 

56 min In fact Rashford’s shot took a biggish deflection off Saliba, which makes it an even better save from Ramsdale.

55 min: Terrific save from Ramsdale! Rashford beats Tomiyasu once, then forces his way past him a second time on the left side of the area and hits a shot across goal that is pushed away by Ramsdale, diving low to his left. That’s a fine save because I’m pretty sure he saw it late.

It’s the third game in a row that Saka has scored against Man Utd, which puts him in an elite club that includes Thierry Henry and Freddie Ljungberg, and it was a gem. Tomiyasu gave him the ball 25 yards from goal, in line with the right edge of the area. Saka slowed down, then cut inside Eriksen and curled a brilliant low shot that beat the diving de Gea and nestled in the far corner. A delightful goal from the most delightful footballer.

Updated at 

52 min Arsenal are dominating possession now, as they did towards the end of the first half. Odegaard plays one of his ingenious two-touch through balls – dragging the ball slightly to the right and then, in the same movement, flicking it towards Martinelli in the area. Martinez comes across to make a desperate and brilliant challenge.

50 min “Hi Rob,” says Alan Baverstock. “My bet on the last Arsenal manager to refer to ‘The Arsenal’ would be Pat Rice.”

Well that was sheer delightful pedantry.

49 min Gabriel goes over just inside the area after a clumsy challenge from behind by Weghorst. Not for the first time today, Anthony Taylor isn’t interested. We haven’t seen a replay yet.

Updated at 

48 min Weghorst nicks a loose ball on the halfway line and releases Antony down the right. His touch is heavy and Partey comes across to concede a corner.

Most viewed

Most viewed