Get the Reddit app

Scan this QR code to download the app now
Or check it out in the app stores
r/Gunners icon
r/Gunners icon
Go to Gunners
r/Gunners
A banner for the subreddit

“𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘵𝘢𝘳𝘵 𝘴𝘶𝘱𝘱𝘰𝘳𝘵𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘢 𝘧𝘰𝘰𝘵𝘣𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘤𝘭𝘶𝘣, 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘥𝘰𝘯’𝘵 𝘴𝘶𝘱𝘱𝘰𝘳𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘣𝘦𝘤𝘢𝘶𝘴𝘦 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘵𝘳𝘰𝘱𝘩𝘪𝘦𝘴, 𝘰𝘳 𝘢 𝘱𝘭𝘢𝘺𝘦𝘳, 𝘰𝘳 𝘩𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘳𝘺, 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘴𝘶𝘱𝘱𝘰𝘳𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘣𝘦𝘤𝘢𝘶𝘴𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘧𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘥 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳𝘴𝘦𝘭𝘧 𝘴𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦; 𝘧𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘥 𝘢 𝘱𝘭𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘣𝘦𝘭𝘰𝘯𝘨.” - 𝘋𝘦𝘯𝘯𝘪𝘴 𝘉𝘦𝘳𝘨𝘬𝘢𝘮𝘱. /r/Gunners is the foremost online hub for all things Arsenal Football Club.

Members Online

[MOTD] Wrighty & Shearer on the NLD

Archived post. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast.
Sort by:
Best
Open comment sort options
[deleted]
[deleted]

Great to see Ben White getting his flowers

u/Scoolfish avatar

He’s been so good. Sometimes I feel like I’m watching a different sport the way rival fans talk about him.

That's Brighton's third best centre back Ben White thank you

u/bAMBIEN avatar

Nah he’s shit. Dier is clearly better.

-Garreth Southgate probably.

u/reprise785 avatar

Not probably. That's exactly what he thinks. So dumb

More replies
u/Helios321 avatar

It's crazy I feel legitimately crazy

u/doggy_lipschtick avatar

Even our own fans after the first few games were talking about bringing Tomi back immediately because White wasn't up for it.

?!?

More replies
More replies
u/ohmyimatomato avatar

That's a great line from Wright at the end. "Just let us get on with it"

Can you believe we have White in the form he is in and then we have Tomiyasu on the bench. From Soares starting every week, to this... wow. And who do we have to thank? That's right, Saliba.

We actually have a bench this season. At times last season when there were injuries it was like first XI or bust.

You guessed it… Frank Stallone.

More replies

Now that you look at it we were actually exposed to their break quite often and they could’ve gone 1v1 like three times

u/NiallMitch10 avatar

Note that all of the clips were in the first half. They didn't have a sniff the second half.

The problem with Sp*rs way of playing is that every chance they have to break has to be executed to perfection or else it breaks down immediately. They probably have a few of these "near breaks" every game which don't work out

Yeah there was a few but Saliba was able to deal with them calmly so the chances never came to anything. They wouldn't really press us when we won the ball back, so it was back to playing our game instead of them getting to have any of the possession. It was only really after the pen that we looked shaky for a bit.

u/SolidSank avatar

It looks like no one can press Saliba when he wins it back, so why even bother. Him dribbling calmly near our box came early in the game, which I think changes some of the few pressing traps they want to trigger.

It's crazy how press resistant Partey and Saliba are. Even Xhaka looks press resistant because our style of play now gives him more options so he doesn't have to rely on skill.

More replies
u/platdupiedsecurite avatar

3 big chances they would all put in at times is a lot for just 1 half. We still need to do a lot better at blocking their game if we want to win at the toilet bowl

More replies
u/always_absent avatar

think we got pretty lucky that son had a poor game with respect to that final ball. believe he played in south korea just a few days before so fatigue might have had something to do with it.

shows that we have room to improve but that’s actually exciting because we are nowhere near as good as we could be.

u/iTSEu avatar

The link up between the Spurs front 3 has always been class. It spreads the defense, they break with pace, and create a lot of those 1v1 situations. Their counter attack combinations can expose any team, not just us imo.

I'm not too concerned about our defense (yet), but it's something we need to work on.

[deleted]
[deleted]

Son fucked up a few pretty easy passes that could’ve led to a chance as well

u/Shandow14 avatar

I said it quite a few times, I’m happy we won but not with our performance.

u/Normanisanisland avatar

We absolutely dominated them for nearly the entire match. Kept possession all over the pitch ran their defence absolutely ragged. Multiple chances on top of the 3 goals we did score. Genuinely, what about that performance are you not happy with?

u/--Rage-- avatar

We must have been watching different games.

u/Shandow14 avatar

Clearly. Check Motd and also this entire post?!

u/--Rage-- avatar

How about the part where they mentioned Son had no touches in the box and Kane had two, one of which was a penalty.

Don’t need to read through comments to get an opinion, I was lucky enough to be at the game and fortunately I have eyes. Every single player in the shirt worked their ass off, and the crowd was absolutely electric. I’ll happily take 30 more of those.

More replies
More replies
u/doggy_lipschtick avatar

Don't forget this team took 6? points off City last year doing exactly this counter. They are going to get opportunities and yes, maybe on one or two it was the result of a little arrogance on our part.

But we still dominated them and made there counters very nervy with serious hustle out of every Arsenal player on the pitch.

Room for improvement but to not be happy with the performance is asking a lot.

Liverpool will be a big test of our defence despite their form. They are masters of fast breaks and they have 4 more passers from deep in Thiago, TAA, VVD and Robertson. Spurs had none. Their forwards won’t be sitting in midfield either.

More replies
More replies

Kane had two touches in the box and one was the penalty kick.

More replies

I really don’t know how spurs fans can stomach the kind of football they play. Several times they had 8 players in the box to our 4. I mean come on. You’ve got to play at some point right? It may be working for them but they will get found out like against us

u/Drunk_Cat_Phil avatar

I watched them sit on the edge of their box against Forest and just couldn't understand why. I get that Conte wants draw opponents on to them but with that much talent in your front line... just seems like such a waste

I understand that against big teams sitting back is okay. But they do it every game. Against a shit Leicester, just promoted Forrest abd others. How do you explain tgat

More replies

Yeah, and they have a rough october ahead.

Frankfort, brighton, frankfort, everton, united, newcastle, sporting, bournemouth.

Clearly everton and bournemouth they should win. In the league the other opponents are far from pushovers. And i the CL they already lost to sporting in the group stages, and a loss to frankfort would cause some stress in their dressing room.

Everton isn’t even bad now. They are grinding out results. They comfortably beat Bournemouth but the rest are up in the air

More replies
More replies
u/lazysarcasm avatar

The crop of defenders we have rn is absolutely ridiculous. The only reason it isn't a talking point people are bringing up is because they are defenders. When you talk about a crop of players in a position - Liverpool's forwards, city's midfield etc. - our backline should 100% be mentioned

maybe because we still ship goals.

u/Houssem-Aouar avatar

And most of the time in pretty stupid fashion so of course no one's going to praise them too much lol

More replies
More replies

Summary: Wrighty and Shearer discuss the match with a spotlight on Ben White’s positioning and movement and what it brings to our game, as well as how poor Spurs were in the final third.

I had been paying so much attention to us when watching the match that I didn't even think about spurs' poor passing into our area. But yeah, it was thankfully terrible. Son was poor yesterday. Maybe the venue and the event messed with his (and other spuds') head.

White and Saliba were both phenomenal yesterday. Gabriel looked a bit rattled and lacked some composure. Zinchenko was very helpful in building out of the back and pushing up, but he was a bit slow coming back to cover their counters. But he's a smart, talented guy, so he will learn and adapt from that.

I really hope Arteta and the coaches can get Tierney playing more comfortably in an inverted fullback role. He had the ability. I think it's just a case of him adjusting his mindset a bit.

More replies

Before they showed the highlights Wrighty was already grinning and the presenter told him "no spoilers" 😅

u/hotbrownies14 avatar

Love wrightys use of marvel details every now and then

nick fury of our ship

More replies
[deleted]
[deleted]

These are annotated highlights, not exactly analysis.

God I love wrighty. And I’m an American who really got into the arsenal about five years ago. So I don’t even have the privilege of experiencing him as a player.

Shit we were exposed quite a lot.

Some really good tactical breakdown compared summer British announcers in the USA making a living saying, 'they should have pushed in the middle....push the middle, too much space. And no desire. '